Use this online guide to connect with us and enrich your worship of our Savior.
For the video matching this worship guide, check the front page of our website and/or our video channel on Vimeo.
June 14 Sermon Notes & Quotes
“The Fruit of the Spirit: Love”
- When Christians place their faith in Jesus Christ, they receive a new heart and a new spirit (Ezekiel 36:26; Galatians 4:2).
- What is love?
- Why is it important?
- How do we get a heart of love?
What is love?
- There are four words for love in the Bible (eros, philia, sturge and agape), and the word used in Galatians 5:22 and 1 Corinthians 13 is agape.
- When we talk about God’s love, we are talking about a divine love characterized by personal sacrifice for the good of others.
- The great example of that kind of love in the Bible is found in the cross of Jesus Christ.
Why is it important?
- Without love, all of our religious works mean nothing.
- “Love is of such a nature that it will produce all virtue…without it, there can be no sincere virtue. Indeed, there is no sincerity in obedience that is performed without love, for if there is no love, then all must be forced” (Edwards, Charity, 10-11).
- “Love is the heart and soul of the Pauline ethic, for it is love that fulfills the law” (Schreiner, Galatians, 349).
- “Love is the foundational virtue that binds God’s people together, even into eternity” (Carson, Showing the Spirit, 75).
How do we get a heart of love?
- The Lord must pour His love into our hearts (Romans 5:5).
- For Christians, the Lord causes our hearts to increase in love (1 Thessalonians 3:12).